What is Throat?
Throat is a part of respiratory system which has three main parts:-
- Tonsils – Lumps of tissues at the back of the throat, one on each side.
- Pharynx – Back part of the throat.
- Larynx – Voicebox
The throat is a pathway for air, dust, and food particles. It also filters out the viruses and bacteria before they go down to cause further damage.
Why Sore Throat Occur?
A sore throat occurs as immune response to infection caused by virus, bacteria and other foreign cells.
What is a Sore Throat?
Sore throat is a throat infection where inflammation occurs at certain parts of the throat. It is the first sign of cold and flu.
What are the Types of Sore Throat?
- Tonsillitis – Inflammation of Tonsils
- Pharyngitis – Inflammation of Pharynx (back of the throat)
- Laryngitis – Inflammation of Voice Box
Where Sore throat Occur?
Sore throat or throat infection occurs in following parts of the throat
- The back part of the tongue
- The roof top of mouth
- The tonsils
What Causes Sore Throat?
Sore throat is usually caused by viral infection and bacterial infection.
- The flu – Influenza
- Mononucleosis – Also called “kissing disease” where Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) can get you through kissing or in other words transmission of disease through saliva.
- Mums – Infectious disease caused by the mumps virus which causes swelling of salivary glands.
- Strep throat – Common bacterial infection caused by group A Streptococcus bacteria that cause inflammation and pain in the throat which make your throat feel sore and scratchy.
Toxins or Irritants:
- Cigarette smoke
- Air pollution
- Allergy – Allergies to pollen, pets dander and some kind of food
Sore throat is also caused by Sexual Transmitted Disease (STD) like
What are the Symptoms of Sore throat?
- Runny nose or nasal congestion
- Redness and swelling of tonsils
- White patches or puss on your tonsils
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Swollen glands in your neck
- Body aches
- A hoarse or muffled voice
What are the Treatments and Remedies to Cure Sore throat?
- Gargle in hot salt water
- Warm ginger tea with honey
- Humidifier or vaporizer
- Drink warm liquids
- Drink plenty of water
- Throat sprays
- Soothing food like ice cream, gelatin, ice chips and frozen fruits
- Take rest until your throat feels better
What happens if you don’t get the treatment for your Sore Throat?
If sore throat is untreated strep throat may cause problems like
- Kidney inflammation
- Rheumatic fever – Rheumatic fever is nothing but a fever that leads to severe or inflamed joint, skin and brain problems, and heart valve damage.
When to consult the doctor for Sore Throat?
- Fever above 101°F
- Difficulty in breathing and opening mouth
- Severe swelling in the throat
- If a red rash appears